IMPORTANT: RACE TEAM BOTTLE FUNDRAISER EVENT THIS WEEK.
Bring your bottles to the ski club and we will put them in the Tinworth's trailer. We will then drop them off and have them sorted as a fundraiser for the team. Know of people who can help us out? Get them to drop the bottles out at the ski lodge too!! Details on the Wapiti Nordic Facebook Page.
_______________________________It's spring skiing this week and the snow is going quickly. This week will be our last week on good skis- so let's make the most of it...
Tuesday: Classic- red or silver wax may be enough to get grip for today still. Will have to see how much melting is happening out there.
Thursday: Skate- we will do a distance ski in a few separate groups.
Saturday: Wapiti-Irkie day... which is frustrating as a lot of the snow will be rotten and melted... BUT at least it won't be too cold!! :( Classic skiing- this was taken from the website- details will be confirmed at training on Thursday- pending ski trail conditions.
- An informal "Birkie" substitute for those who trained (and even for those who didn't!!) for the Feb 9th Birkie in Edmonton that was cancelled due to the cold. Because it is a spontaneous informal event, skiers in longer distances are expected to be mainly self supported. This is a "pop up" event and should not be confused with the Sveinungsgaard Loppet on March 9th.
- Distance options (as per original Birkie event): 5km (BlueMoon / Half Moon), 13km, 31km or 55km (all on North trails).
- The 13, 31 and 55km distances will be composed of loops on the groomed North trails (whichever are in best condition). A course map will be available Saturday 23rd Feb.
- Start time: 9:30am for all distances
- Registration: See self registration sheet on the lodge bulletin board (please indicate participation by Sat 23rd if possible) or in person Sunday morning before 9:00am.
- Fees: $5 cash to be paid Sunday morning before 9:00am
- Participants are expected to check in and check out when you have finished your distance.
- Timing provided for 5km and 13km distances. Those in 31km and 55km will be self timed (see clock in stadium) and self reported. There will not be bibs or medals for any event - this is more of a personal challenge than a race.
- Support: there will be snack and water stations in the main stadium and north parking lot. Participants can leave their own nutrition in the rubber maid totes at both locations.
- Important! Don't forget to check OUT at the lodge when you have completed your chosen distance!! We don't want to send out a search party while you are sitting at home!!
Sunday: Down-hill dash. This is a Wapiti Challenge event, although I haven't received anything official. Please check out the bulletin board in the lodge to confirm these details. As I know- I will re-post here. Start is usually 2pm.